Note: The following short-film (6 minutes) is a one-man campaign, with the support of friends, to encourage the mayor of Mobile, Sandy Stimpson, and members of the Mobile City Council to move our under served airport (MOB) in West Mobile back to its original home at Brookley Field.
July 26, 2014
Moving Mobile Forward – >>
First Step To Achieving Our Dreams…
Move “MOB” back to Brookley Field
“I actually support that idea, and I have for some time…”
U.S. Representative Bradley Byrne
1st Congressional District of Alabama
– July 25, 2014
Metropolitan Statistical Area (MSA) is a geographical region with a relatively high population density at its core and close economic ties throughout the area.
Mobile MSA = 412,992 (2010 Census)
Daphne-Fairhope xSA = 182,265
Mobile MSA Total = 595,257
Pensacola MSA = 448,991 (2010 Census)
Gulfport/Biloxi MSA = 238,772 (2009)
2) Airport Passenger Traffic (PT)
MOB, PNS and GPT
Mobile Regional Airport (MOB)
U.S. ranking = 159
MOB Passenger Traffic = 277,432 (CY 2012) -3.82%
Pensacola International (PNS)
U.S. ranking = 100
PNS Passenger Traffic = 740,852 (CY 2012) -1.24%
Gulfport-Biloxi International (GPT)
U.S. ranking = 131
GPT Passenger Traffic = 394,110 (CY 2012) -0.31%
3) Metropolitan Statistical Area (MSA)
Airport Passenger Traffic (PT)
Mobile MSA = 595,257 and MOB PT = 277,432
Pensacola MSA = 448,991 and PNS PT = 740,852
Gulfport/Biloxi MSA = 238,772 and GPT PT = 394,110
4) Geographical Location on Map:
MOB, Brookley Field, PNS and GPT
MOB = 30° 41′ 29″ N, 88° 14′ 34″ W
Distance and Time to Downtown Mobile = 18.1 mi and 30 min
Distance and Time to Daphne = 29.5 mi and 44 min
Brookley Field = 30°37′36″N, 088°04′05″W
Distance and Time to Downtown Mobile = 5.1 mi and 10 min
Distance and Time to Daphne = 23 mi and 16 min
PNS = 30° 28′ 24″ N, 87° 11′ 12″ W
Distance and Time to Daphne = 50.8 mi and 55 min
GPT = 30° 24′ 26″ N, 89° 4′ 12″ W
Distance and Time to Mobile = 72.8 mi and 67 min
Brookley Areoplex’s SWOT
(Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities and Threats)
All Airbus-related passengers can be easily shuttled from the new Brookley terminal around to the Airbus assembly plant or to their engineering offices avoiding Airport Blvd altogether (Commonsense).
Easy access to the downtown business community, to the U.S. District Court, to the Alabama State Docks and the port of Mobile, The Arthur Outlaw Convention Center, the Alabama Cruise Terminal and our hotels.
All residents of Mobile and Baldwin Counties, S. Mississippi and North Florida can quickly and easily access our new Brookley terminal using our interstate system of I-10 and I-65.
With increased passenger traffic, all airlines could re-evaluate their strategy with the Mobile market. More passenger traffic with its ease of access at Brookley could lead to more competition and better airfares for customers and area businesses.
Only minutes from I-65, 10 minutes to the Eastern Shore and 40 minutes (36.8 mi) to Pascagoula, Mississippi (Huntington Ingalls Shipbuilding Co.). It offers one of the longest runways in the U.S. Any airplane can land, taxi and take off, again.
Brookley is the geographical center.
The move back to Brookley Field allows us to stop MOB’s bleeding of passenger traffic, fees and taxes to its rivals — PNS and GPT because of its poor location and access in West Mobile.
It’s time to be #1 in something (+), again while creating new construction jobs!
At water’s edge — periodic exposure to tropical storms, storm surge and hurricane-force winds.
Remodel Brookley Aeroplex, build a hotel and conference center, bayside recreation area with a municipal pier. Create a meeting place for people and airplane watching, as well as, fishing and crabbing.
The space between where we step out beyond our comfort zone into the vast unknown is where the “MAGIC” in all of life occurs
all unforeseen opportunities that would otherwise not be realized fall into our lap due to taking this necessary and repeating RISK, which leads to real faith, growth and prosperity.
Construction Cost for Terminal and Any Required Upgrades
To get a printable copy of what you just watched, VISIT
Ted Burnett, Big Picture Productions and the Land of New Opportunities
SPECIAL THANKS FOR THEIR SUPPORT
Mobile Mayor Sandy Stimpson and the Mobile City Council
Mobile Airport Authority
Herbert A. Meisler, Chairman
Patricia G. Edington, Co-Chairman
Thomas Busby, Secretary
Michael E. Pierce, Assistant Secretary/Treasurer
Joe B. Bullard, Jr., Treasurer
Prichard Mayor Troy Ephraim and the Prichard City Council
Saraland Mayor Dr. Howard Rubenstein and the Saraland City Council
Citronelle Mayor J. Albert “Al” McDonald and the Citronelle City Council
Dauphin Island Mayor Jeff Collier and the Dauphin Island City Council
Mobile County Commission
Bay Minette Mayor Robert “Bob” Wills and the Bay Minette City Council
Daphne Mayor Dane Haygood and the Daphne City Council
Fairhope Mayor Tim Kant and the Fairhope City Council
Spanish Fort Mayor Michael M. McMillian and the Spanish Fort City Council
Baldwin County Commission
Alabama Governor Robert Bentley, M.D.
U.S. Senator Jeff Sessions
U.S. Senator Richard Shelby
“Hi Ted Burnett – I actually support that idea, and I have for some time. I’m still waiting to gather all the facts. Since it is a municipal owned airport, I want to follow the lead of Mayor Stimpson and the airport authority.”
on Facebook, 7/25/2014
— U.S. Representative Bradley Byrne, 1st Congressional District of Alabama
1) Brookley Air Force, Mobile, AL, http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brookley_Air_Force_Base
2) FAA Airport/Passenger/Statistics/CY12/Commercial Service Enplanements, http://www.faa.gov/airports/planning_capacity/passenger_allcargo_stats/passenger/media/CY12CommercialServiceEnplanements.pdf
3) Gulfport-Biloxi Metropolitan Area, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gulfport%E2%80%93Biloxi_metropolitan_area
4) Mobile Metropolitan Area, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_metropolitan_area
5) Mobile Regional Airport – History, http://www.mobairport.com/about-mobile-airport-authority/history/history.html
6) Pensacola Metropolitan Area, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pensacola_metropolitan_area
7) Lafayette Airport Planning $60 Million Expansion, http://texas.construction.com/texas_construction_projects/2014/0114-lafayette-airport-planning-60-million-expansion.asp
8) New Orleans airport terminal construction job recommendation goes to Parsons-Odebrecht team, http://www.nola.com/business/index.ssf/2014/05/new_orleans_airport_terminal_c.html
9) Mayor Landrieu, Aviation Board unveil conceptual design for new world-class airport terminal complex – 1/16/2014, http://flymsy.com/press-room/Mayor-Landrieu-Aviation-Board-unveil-conceptual-design-for-new-world-class-airport-terminal-complex?&Sort=
10) FlyWitchita.com Project Overview, http://www.flywichita.com/project-overview.php
11) Duluth International Airport, http://www.duluthairport.com/news-expansion-landing.php
12) Des Moines airport needs $200 million for new terminal, http://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/money/business/2014/06/11/des-moines-airport-new-terminal-million-funds/10313041/
13) Bellingham International Airport Terminal Expansion Construction Overview, http://portofbellingham.com/index.aspx?NID=515
14) McCarthy Construction Company, http://www.mccarthy.com/airport terminal-construction/
15) Makeover at LaGuardia advances, http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article/20130731/real_estate/130739965/makeover-at-laguardia-advances
16) LaGuardia Airport poised for $3.6B makeover, new central terminal, http://www.newsday.com/news/new-york/laguardia-airport-poised-for-3-6b-makeover-new-central-terminal-1.7689403
17) Kansas City International New Single Terminal FACT SHEET, http://www.flykci.com/_FileLibrary/FileImage/KCISingleTerminalFactSheet4-3-13.pdf
18) Birmingham-Shuttlesworth Terminal Modernization Project, http://www.flybirmingham.com/terminal-modernization-project/
19) Long Beach Airport Terminal Modernization, http://www.lgb.org/travelers/terminal_modernization.asp
20) Planned new terminal would give Burbank Bob Hope Airport a boost, http://www.dailynews.com/business/20140311/planned-new-terminal-would-give-burbank-bob-hope-airport-a-boost
21) Charleston International Airport, http://www.chs-trip.com/
22) Fort Murray International Airport, Canada, http://www.flyymm.com/about-ymm/new-terminal
YOUR SUPPORT IS CRITICAL– LET YOUR VOICE BE HEARD!
Mayor Sandy Stimpson or your mayor’s office,
Mobile City Council or your city council member
Email: email@example.com or on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/SandyStimpsonMobile?ref=br_tf
Copyright © 2014. All Rights Reserved. “Is Mayor Stimpson too nice for the city of Mobile, Alabama?” by Ted Burnett. http://thesageofmobile.com/is-mayor-stimpson-too-nice-for-the-city-of-mobile-alabama-2/
Copyright © 2014. All Rights Reserved. “Moving Mobile Forward” by Ted Burnett
All my videos and essays can be viewed on my websites – www.tedburnett.com and www.thesageofmobile.com
Thank you for taking the time to watch this short film, if you have any questions, comments or concerns for me.
500 Lincoln Street, Ste. B-105
Daphne, AL 36526